Assessing and Breaking Down Energy Usage in Your Household

Electricity makes our lives more comfortable, but its use comes at a cost—in this case, a cost in dollars. In the average home’s monthly breakdown of household expenses, one significant expenditure is often the electric bill.

Even within the same country, the costs of keeping everything on can change. Texas energy rates may differ from that of Mississippi. You can’t always control the cost of electricity, but wherever you are (no matter how cheap or expensive your state’s energy rates are), you can always conserve electricity.

Interested in learning more about how you can save through conservation? it’s essential to evaluate where most of your electricity consumption goes to understand where you can strategically adjust.

The Hierarchy of Energy Consumption

Energy Consumption

In an infographic published by Connect4Climate, it was illustrated that 65% of the total household energy consumption goes to various appliances while the remaining 35% is wasted. Plus, they objectively identified the top 10 energy using-appliances in your household.

  • 1. Cooling and heating
  • 2. Water heater
  • 3. Lighting
  • 4. Washer
  • 5. Dryer
  • 6. Refrigerator
  • 7. Electric oven
  • 8. Television, DVD, or TV box
  • 9. Dishwasher
  • 10. Computers/laptops

Tied in the first and second place is the cooling and heating aspect of a household. With a whopping 47% of the total consumption, it might be best to minimize the use of your trusty air conditioner if you’d like lower figures to show up in your monthly electric bill. 


The Sneaky Electrical Vampires

Aside from the mentioned household aspects that take up the entirety of monthly electrical consumption, there are a few more items you need to watch out for. These are what the experts would call “vampire appliances.” What are they? Read on below to discover.

Routers and modem
  • 1. Set-top-box (satellite DVRs and digital cable)
  • 2. Computers, laptops
  • 3. Printers (multi-use or inkjet)
  • 4. VCR/DVDs (if households still utilize them for entertainment)
  • 5. Central heating furnace
  • 6. Routers and modem
  • 7. Phones and answering machines
  • 8. Gaming consoles
  • 9. Television
  • 10. Electronic microwaves

Saving Energy at Home

save energy

Stop the Vampire Appliances from Sucking Energy

It might be a tedious task, but you can save a lot of money and energy by putting a stop to these vampire appliances at work. We listed down some tips for you to follow in your household.

Always Unplug

A lot of these vampire appliances use up energy even when not in use because it’s plugged in. Make it a habit to unplug appliances that aren’t always in use.

Charge Only Until Full

Electronic and mobile devices need to be charged until full. Overcharging doesn’t only put a dent in your pockets when it comes to its consumption. Your devices are also at the risk of damage and short-circuiting.

Turn Off Lights When Not in Use

Don’t forget to switch off the bathroom lights after using it. The same goes for any room in your household. Also, there are instances when switching a light on is unnecessary. Try inducing natural light into your home by opening the window more.

Purchase Energy Star Appliances

One way of ensuring energy efficiency is to buy appliances with energy star ratings. In this way, you have a clear idea of energy consumption.

Utilize Power Strips

If you find the need to unplug certain appliances inconvenient because you’re always using them, purchase a power strip where you can group devices such as TVs, DVDs, chargers, and more so that they can be switched off at the same time. To ensure safety and energy conservation, look for a power strip with an on-and-off switch and protection from electrical surges.


Conclusion

Unfortunate as it may seem, our energy sources aren’t renewable for electricity consumption. The good thing is a lot of people are adapting to an energy-saving lifestyle to reduce usage and save money. They are also investing in renewable energy sources like solar panels, which has proved to be beneficial for any home. That said, we highly encourage you to perform these tips and notice the difference.

Vera Watson
 

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments